Saturday, July 3, 2010

Angels without hands

I collect angels...not perhaps the best thing for a woman who is disastrously clumsy but I love them and I do it anyway.
Two things occurred to me the other day.The first is that the majority of my angels have one thing in common even though they are different types, shapes, sizes and prices.
Most.. maybe all of them... have been broken and put back together with varying degrees of success.
The wings have broken off several and been glued back on. Some with more painstaking care than others... Some more time consuming... Some more detail but all in place more or less.
All except one and that one, no matter what i do, the wing refuses to go back in place. Now it sits next to her.

My favorite is the one with no hand. She stands in my kitchen next to my sink arms out stretched minus one hand. I do not know where her hand went. It has not been found. I don't even know what incident befell her. I know it was not of my doing and nobody has ever fessed up to it.
The second thing that occurred to me is that I love her because she so embodies to me what an angel is and what a friend is.
They both watch over you always...
An angel, like my friends, stand by regardless of there own needs.
No hand...no problem..., arms still reach out to comfort, to enfold.

I have my angels all over my house which is why they get broke so much. I do not put them in a case or on a shelf. They sit at my sink , in my bedroom, next to my desk, next to the television they sit where ever I am.

They sit where I am.

Angels and friends, they can be broken and battered and still they watch over you. Sometimes they come without wings, without hands, without money, without cars, without a church home,without husbands.
They are there where you are in your brokenness.... and in theirs.

This past year I have found that it is the friends in my life who have become my living angels.
They have lost loved ones and been there for me. They have had their own broken hearts and still they are there for me. They have busy lives, children, aging parents, relationships that need tending,ailing spouses and still they are there for me.

I have also discovered that at a point in your life your children can and do become some of your best and most trusted friends. There is a relationship shift which allows this if you are fortunate, I have been more fortunate than anyone has a right to be.

I have a friends that I have known my whole life and ones that are fairly new and they have all pulled my head above the water several times over the past 12 months.
Sickness, betrayal, heartache, violence, disappointment, and anger I have felt them all and each time one of these things comes up one of them reaches in and grabs me. I am sure some have felt their arms tire with the weight of me at times but not once have any of my true friends let me go. Not once.
This year my friends will be receiving angels at various times. A reminder of my gratitude and a reminder that I am always there to return the favor.


No comments:

Post a Comment